Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN -- I may have started in politics because someone asked me to put my name on that ballot – now I run for public office because good public policy is important to me


This coming week, I am speaking at a couple of sessions about running for public office. It gets me to thinking about my own path to the British Columbia legislature.

I grew up on Tsartlip First Nation. Our family property on Stelly's is right across the street from the municipality of Central Saanich. While I'm a Central Saanich kid, there is an important distinction. I live on the reserve. It's always been my home and we still live there. I went to school in Central Saanich, I played baseball in Central Saanich, but my politics were reserve politics. It's a completely different world living under the Indian Act.

Walk before you run
In the fall of 2007, both my sister Joni and I were nominated for Tsartlip council elections. Emily was in her third trimester with Silas and he was due on the day of the election. So, my first wise political decision was to withdraw my name from the ballot. I didn't think I should start a family and political career on the same day. Joni's first election in early December marks the beginning of the political careers of the Olsen kids. 12 years later, we are still going.

Will they press the issue, ask the tough questions, seek information, and knock on any door?

In early 2008, Central Saanich Councillor Zeb King asked me if I had ever thought about running for municipal councillor. While politics was fresh in my family, Central Saanich Council wasn't on my radar. Going back to the top, it's a completely different world. Growing up under the Indian Act is nothing like growing up under the Local Government Act.

On my side of the street, we can possess land, not own it. Relationships about land are messy and it's the source of much of the internal strife on Indian reserves across Canada. So, when I stepped across the road to run in the 2008 Central Saanich municipal elections, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Going for it
It took about six months of talking with Zeb before Emily and I made the decision we would go for it. Emily was planning on going back to her job at Canada Post once her maternity leave was done. My plan was to work from home with Silas, and Council was going to be part of that work.

November 2008, one year after Joni's election, marks the beginning of my public service.

I remember then-Mayor Jack Mar saying to me on inauguration night that I would not know what I was doing for the first 18 months of my initial three-year term. "Come on Jack!" I said. "I'm a quick study!" After all, I had just got the second-highest number of votes on the councillor ballot! I could overcome anything!

Little did I know, and through the ensuing weeks I found out how little I knew.
Official community plans, zoning bylaws, multi-million-dollar budgets, tax rolls, mill rates - none of this is part of Indian Act living! However, as it turns out I was a pretty quick study. The ability to understand new information in a wide variety of areas, and quickly recall it whenever it is needed, is a critical skill in my job!

Why?
One of the most common questions for a person in public office is, "Why did you run for public office?" The most common response is, "Because someone asked me to."

I may have started in politics because someone asked me to put my name on that ballot. However, I run for public office because good public policy is important to me.

I like the work and it suits my personality. I enjoy the tempo and pace.

Meeting people for coffee and talking about community excites me. Building networks by connecting people is my strength. This work matters and the quality of life now, and in the future, depends on this work being done well.

So, when I am asking people if they will consider running for public office, I want them to think past my ask. I want to know why they are doing it. What do they want to accomplish? Are they going to go-along to get-along? Or, will they press the issue, ask the tough questions, seek information, and knock on any door?





Adam Olsen ... is a Green Party Member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia for Saanich North and the Islands. 

Born in Victoria, BC in 1976, Adam has lived, worked and played his entire life on the Saanich Peninsula. 

He is a member of Tsartlip First Nation (W̱JOȽEȽP), where he and his wife, Emily, are raising their two children, Silas and Ella.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more