Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

WUN FEATHER -- Rather than spend my entire life carrying the burden of racial feelings towards others, I put my best foot forward, and I insist that All Canadian Lives matter equally


They say that the older you get, the more you discover about yourself.

Well, my friends this could be a deal breaker for many of you who think I am a straight-shooting guy. I think that I am actually a racist.

Yep ... I know that it comes as a surprise to me too!

I have never felt this way before, but as more and more of the virtue signaling people tell me that I am wrong when I say #AllLivesMatter, the truth comes out.

Here it goes, for what it is worth.

I am a status Indian from right here in Canada. I have an Indian Status card, have a brother who is an Indian Chief, and I belong to an Indian Reserve in BC.

My mum was one of the worst abused Indian children who attended St Mary’s Residential School in Mission BC. I myself, went to three different Indian Day schools. This is all documented, and can be verified.

Not only have I personally had to endure discrimination and so have many of my family members. In addition to all of that, I have a minimum of five relatives who are amongst the Missing or murdered Indigenous Women.

So, when someone says to me that Black Lives Matter -- more than my life -- or my families lives right here in Canada -- that's when the sad truth comes out. I do my very best to keep these feelings to myself.

Rather than spend my entire life carrying the burden of racial feelings towards others, I put my best foot forward (Or I think I am putting my best foot forward, anyway?), and I insist that All Canadian Lives matter equally.

Sorry about this, but I need someone to explain to me why Black Lives Matter more to them than the lives of my people. You know ... the ones who were here for thousands of years on this continent before everyone else came over on those big boats.

Don't get me wrong. Even though my people have been through pure Hell, and they are still struggling today due to the injustices dealt them in the past, I personally, do not go around blaming anyone who is alive today. OK, well maybe one or two of our politicians could get a smack on the side of the head, but no.

I refuse to discriminate against any race, religion or gender because my ancestors were dealt a bad blow, and the aftermath has its grip on my people to this day. I totally support any movement that deals with injustice or brutality to ANY Race, Religion or Gender.



And if it means that I am a Racist when I say All Lives Matter, then at least I came forward and let you all know it. There go any aspirations that I have towards a political career, when I decide to retire.

This is the kind of skeleton I don't need hiding in my closet, but it is there for all of you to see.

I respect all Canadians equally, even though some of us have been through some pretty bad experiences.

You don't need to come forward like I did. It isn't an easy thing to do.


About Wun Feather ... I am one of the last of my generation to have actually attended residential and Indian day schools. I have lived on and off reserve, and have seen the benefits and the hardships of my people in both situations.

My parents taught me that any time I fell down physically, or emotionally, I just needed to pick myself up, shake myself off, and continue in a forward direction. So, I cannot claim that I did it on my own; I had great Elders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more