Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

SHANNON AINSLIE: I have opinions, like everyone else, but hesitate to throw my hat in the ring with those savvy folks who have been politically engaged for decades

IMAGE CREDIT:  Scholars Portal

I didn't grow up with politics. Unlike so many Canadian families, my family didn't debate political issues around the supper table, it was more about the Canuck's latest loss and which child was hiding peas in their napkin. 

Consequently when I left high school, political jargon was foreign, social studies was my toughest subject, and I'd taken zero part in municipal, provincial or federal political movements. 

I went into forestry. First college and then years spent in the bush learning more about communal living, teamwork, and after drawing the short straw, how to build shitters. 

Eventually I had to come back to society to raise a daughter which I wasn't very good at and try to figure out how to be a 'school mom.' Instead of doing homework every night we were doing crazy eights in the snow in the backyard on a Baha Minibike.

I kept up the  writing I'd done my whole life, had a blog, did a column for Castanet and wrote some articles for my current company.

I'm still daft when it comes to all levels of politics, and worse, afraid to ask questions a person my age should know the answers to. I have opinions, like everyone else, but hesitate to throw my hat in the ring with those savvy folks who have been politically engaged for decades. 

Sitting here now, I wonder how many others feel this way? 

How important it is to learn, engage and take part in the future of our communities, provinces and country despite our age and where we're starting from?

Living in a democratic society, we voters have the collective privilege and power to influence the direction our communities go. 

We have an opportunity to advocate for our beliefs and keep our leaders transparent and accountable. 

Maybe putting self doubt aside, and taking the time to understand politics, is less of a choice and more of responsibility.

So I'll conclude by saying, "Starting now is better than not participating at all."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

All I can say is if that’s how maintaining a strong economy, and putting people first works, I’m not so sure those of us living in BC will be able to afford much more of it

Bruce Ralston, Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology Today, Bruce Ralston, Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology, had much to say following the release of Statistics Canada's February Labour Force Survey.  He did however miss a few stats that I'm sure he was hoping people wouldn't see – well I did: Bruce Ralston, “British Columbia maintains the strongest economy in the country, and we’re committed to continue working hard and putting people first"   BC Statistics / Statistics Canada ... average weekly earnings in British Columbia ranked behind Alberta ($1,148.45), Newfoundland and Labrador ($1,051.04), Ontario ($1,034.76) and Saskatchewan ($1,017.65).   Bruce Ralston, “Unemployment remained low at a rate of 4.5%. In fact, BC has led the country with the lowest unemployment rate for 18 months in a row. An additional 69,200 jobs were added in the past year — the vast majority being full time and in the private sector” BC Statistics / Statist...

Labels

Show more