Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

WALLACE & NEMETH: Carney's carbon tariff dream will just be more inflation (Western Standard)


Mark Carney has made it clear that as part of continued net zero policies, his government will consider imposing a Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM.) That would be a carbon tariff applied to imports, to support Canadian products burdened by domestic carbon pricing.

Proposed in 2021 and  included in  the 2024 Fall Economic Statement, the Canadian CBAM is a misguided attempt to shield domestic industries. In response to America’s new tariffs, a CBAM has been proposed to pivot trade to the EU and adopt a European-style CBAM.

Here we argue that any attempt to harmonize Canada with the EU’s complex regulations risks overregulation that would put Canadian companies at a competitive disadvantage ...

CLICK HERE for the full story

Comments

Labels

Show more