Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

LEONARD: A headline was a victory for sure – a headline with a picture was cause for celebration. The politics of name recognition can’t be denied


Speak when you can improve upon silence ~~ Frank Leonard

Legend has it that one day Saanich Mayor Hugh Curtis was asked what a particular member of Council contributed to the meetings – and he replied … “about two hours”.  I later served on Council with that individual and can verify Hugh’s assessment.  In fact, from time to time a Council or Regional Board will come across at least one person like this.  They want to always have the last word, they want to explain and show off their infinite knowledge, and they can never be persuaded that this isn’t to everyone’s benefit. 

Thankfully, I’ve never run into this on a corporate board – this is something that possesses politicians.

I’m not without sin here - not so much for lengthy oratories - but I did seek to get in a good one-liner on most nights.  In fact, since a high school chum also served on Council, we would practice our lines in advance and see who could make the paper.  


A headline was a victory for sure – a headline with a picture was cause for celebration.  The politics of name recognition can’t be denied.


Yet politically the frequent talker would often succeed, and I found it interesting that citizens in the gallery would be impressed by them.  They would comment to me afterwards how wonderful it was that ‘so-in-so cared so much’, and knew the issue so well.  Of course, their exposure was only for one night in their lifetime, rather than what seemed like a life sentence for the rest of us.


My own style was based on a phrase, or proverb, that has been around for years in different forms.  My version is: “Speak when you can improve upon silence.” 

As an introvert this allows me to work in my comfort zone but also serves as a strategy.  I found it rewarding to speak when I could have an impact on the outcome.  Often that meant waiting until discussion had been exhausted, and colleagues were looking for solutions.  In fact, as I gained seniority and experience, colleagues would ask me to speak as they wanted to hear my views – and that teed up comments for impact indeed.

I suggest, to those in local government today, that they do what they need to do in order to succeed politically – speak up, grab a headline, prove your worth.  But when the issue on the table requires some serious thought, speaking only when you can improve upon silence is a good rule.  Listening takes practice and you can’t think through your own position while you’re talking.

Perhaps I can sum up my style with this story from my early days in public affairs.

Somehow, I managed to get elected President of the Victoria Chamber of Commerce at the age of 30, and a couple of years beforehand I was part of their delegation to meet the Mayor.  We were lobbying for high speed ferry service to Seattle and I seem to recall the meeting was pleasant but not too productive.  

That night at a Gyro meeting (yes, I was a Gyro Club member,) the City Manager said to me: “The Mayor was very impressed with you today”.  This was something of an accomplishment as the Mayor of Victoria at the time was Peter Pollen who was not impressed by very many people and seemed to enjoy saying so.  However, to be fair, I must admit that of the delegation members at that meeting, I was the only one who never spoke … I never said a word.  

Of course, this says as much about Peter Pollen as it does about me.





ABOUT FRANK LEONARD:
Frank Leonard was Mayor of Saanich and Chair of the Police Board from 1996-2014 after serving as a Councillor from 1986. While in public office, Frank chaired the Municipal Finance Authority of BC, was President of the Union of BC Municipalities and a Director of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. He has also served as Chair of the Capital Regional District, the Hospital District and the region’s Housing Corporation.
Frank Leonard comes from a family business background, having managed Victoria Tire Ltd.’s three Kal Tire stores prior to their sale in 1996. While in business, Frank served as a Director of the BC Chamber of Commerce, President of the Victoria Chamber of Commerce, and on the boards of local tourism and economic development groups. Frank has a B.A. (Honours) and M.A. from the University of Victoria, and has completed the Institute of Corporate Directors Program (ICD.D)
Frank Leonard is currently Chair of Parkbridge Lifestyles Communities and a Director of Coast Capital Savings. He is a business instructor at the University of Victoria and has previously served as a Director of the BC Investment Management Corporation, Chair of the Municipal Pension Plan and Chair of the BC Agricultural Land Commission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more