Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

Adam Olsen: Relationships are as critical to success in the restaurant business as they are in politics


I cannot sit in a banquet hall surrounded by un-bussed tables. When the plates are stacking up and dirty utensils litter the linens, my training in The Dining Room Restaurant at the Butchart Gardens kicks in.

Table management is important.

Adam Olsen ... it's about serving
I'm thankful for my deep roots serving the public, it started in my 20's as a waiter. In many ways, that's the way I still see myself. The communication skills and techniques that I learned in the restaurant business are still the butter on my bread.

The days toiling "in the weeds" when our restaurant got hit with a rush taught me how to manage a mass of information and expectations. Working through pressure has certainly come in handy in my current job, and there are striking similarities between walking up to the doorstep of a complete stranger, and a new table to serve. You never know what you are going to get, so you quickly learn how to read body language and other non-verbal communication cues.

Always thank the cooks!

Relationships are as critical to success in the restaurant business as they are in politics. It's not just the relationship the guests that is important, you have to maintain the internal ones as well. The manager organizes the schedule and decides who gets the best shifts. The best shifts equal the potential for big tips. Supervisors organize the front of the house, and they determine who get the best sections. Hosts organize the guests, and they determine who sits in what section and when. Bus staff help manage the quality of the experience. And, that is just at the front of the house.

The kitchen is a whole other world. I have seen many waiters fail because they did not understand the cooks, and that their relationship with the cooks will make or break them.

It is easy, and lazy, for a waiter to blame the cooks. No doubt lazy and careless cooks produce poor quality food which requires more work out front. But look after the cooks and they look after you! Same goes for the dish pit. I started in the dish pit, and I know that nothing happens in a restaurant without the dishwasher ... and there should be no one in the restaurant who is too important to roll up their sleeves and wash the dishes.

In my time in the restaurant industry, I always worked to break down the hierarchy. Same for politics.


It is easy for an elected official to let their achievement go their head. The same goes for a waiter. Success comes from a confluence of energies working together toward a common goal.

Each role is as important as the other, and just one part of the whole operation.
It is true that I get the honour of standing in the Chamber, under the lights and in front of the camera.

I am one of 87 people in British Columbia who get to speak in the people's house (BC Legislature). But that honour is due to the hard work and dedication of hundreds of people who are never seen.

Do the groundwork!

So, when I walk up to a neatly set table, and I begin the process of the next dining experience, I know I have done the groundwork. I know that I am working the good shifts and in the good section.

I know that the hosts are selecting the good guests and spacing them with enough time in between to give me a chance. The bussers are working my section hard because I respect them and I show it. And, I can rely on the food prepared for my section to be fresh and the details and presentation to be first rate.

So, if you see me clearing plates it is partly because I cannot sit and look at an un-bussed table and partly because I learned in my time as a waiter that success comes from us all being willing to do whatever is needed.


Adam Olsen ... is a Green Party Member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia for Saanich North and the Islands.

Born in Victoria, BC in 1976, Adam has lived, worked and played his entire life on the Saanich Peninsula. He is a member of Tsartlip First Nation (W̱JOȽEȽP), where he and his wife, Emily, are raising their two children, Silas and Ella.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more