Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

LEONARD: There is something about ‘political friends’ that is different: quite often you need to be realistic; sometimes you even need to watch your back



Political Friends ... I finished my blog post called 'Political Friends' - very much thinking of Nils Jensen and Gerry Furney - hope you like it.

“There are no friends in politics” I replied to the radio talk show host as I was asked about my public tussle with a colleague in local government.  My inside voice had escaped and I immediately regretted saying it.  Not that I didn’t believe it; I just didn’t want the cold-hearted ruthless side of ‘Political Frank’ to be revealed to the voting public.

When asked why I entered politics I often have a throwaway line about my ‘flawed DNA’ but there may be some truth to it.  Certainly, my grade five friend seemed devastated when I pulled off a coup for book club president during recess.  Years later I felt blindsided when a high school chum ran against me for class president – particularly when he won.  Part of my DNA makes me run for positions within organizations I’m in, even against my friends.

When you’re in elected office you make lots of new friends.  This is no different than other workplaces, community groups or even the neighbourhood where you live.  Yet there is something about ‘political friends’ that is different: quite often you need to be realistic; sometimes you even need to watch your back.

Perhaps the starkest moment was when a member of our social circle – someone that we had drinks with after meetings or at a conference - was an opponent in a provincial election.


We arrived at a regional debate and shared pleasantries before taking our seats.  As my friend spoke at the podium, she soon turned and pointed at me exclaiming that ‘right wing demagogues’ must be defeated.  I gasped but gathered myself by letting my inside voice remind me about ‘political friends.’

For those who are newly-elected and enjoying new friendships I offer this observation: it is still politics. 

I’ve made some wonderful friends along the way: a Fraser Valley Mayor rejoiced at my provincial appointment, immediately put on tour of her community and sent me home with an ‘agricultural gift basket’ for my young son; a Cariboo Director insists we stay at his lake cabin when I have some work in his area; and a Peace River colleague invites friends to join us for dinner at her home when we’re up that way. Yet at the same time, if there is an issue, an opportunity or a vote to be taken….
politics will prevail.

And now I’m at an age that I learn of the passing of friends, including those from my political life. 

Sometimes you realize that last time you had seen them was at a meeting – yet it was years ago.  Without a meeting to go to, you simply weren’t connecting.  Obviously, that is when you forget about any rivalries – and wish you’d gone beyond politics and touched base. 

Good lesson no matter what your vocation.



ABOUT FRANK LEONARD:
Frank Leonard was Mayor of Saanich and Chair of the Police Board from 1996-2014 after serving as a Councillor from 1986. While in public office, Frank chaired the Municipal Finance Authority of BC, was President of the Union of BC Municipalities and a Director of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. He has also served as Chair of the Capital Regional District, the Hospital District and the region’s Housing Corporation.

Frank Leonard is currently Chair of Parkbridge Lifestyles Communities and a Director of Coast Capital Savings. He is a business instructor at the University of Victoria and has previously served as a Director of the BC Investment Management Corporation, Chair of the Municipal Pension Plan and Chair of the BC Agricultural Land Commission.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more