Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

“The advantage I have is over a decade of experience in local politics, two decades in business, and a burning passion to see the other provinces become envious of BC” – Trevor Bolin, BC Conservative Party leader


BC Conservative Party Leader Trevor Bolin
As many of you are reading this in the minutes since the post went online .... the news can finally be known to the public.

Trevor Bolin ... long-time City Councillor from Ft. St. John is now the leader of the BC Conservative Party!  Bolin was born and raised in Fort St. John and has been following his dream of serving his community since 2008.

Everyone has a story about taking first steps towards political life, so I asked Trevor what first got him involved, where the dream began:

“I have always been interested in politics from a very young age. I was about 27 when I became serious about it and made the decision, no better time. I wasn’t happy with some of the directions being taken locally and decided to either put up or get up”, he stated.

“I decided to let my name stand for city council that election, and every election since”.

The BC Conservative Party has in recent years, undergone several upheavals at the top, with regards to leadership ... from John Cummins ... to Dan Brooks ... to Dans stepping down ... back to Dan Brooks, and then his surprise removal by the Board of Directors over an unexpected technical error ... and of course in between there was the issue of legal action by a former leadership candidate Rick Peterson.

So I asked Trevor ... why you ... and why now?

“I feel that anyone who gets involved does it for their own reasons, and what they feel they can bring to the table, the party or the group. The advantage I have is over a decade of experience in local politics, two decades in business, and a burning passion to see the other provinces become envious of BC”.

“We have so many opportunities in BC. We need to come together in all regions to nurture the people, families and businesses. We have the right to have a high quality of life, sound investments and a province our children can flourish in without the worry of debt and taxes”.

The late Premier WAC Bennett
Through-out the 50s, 60s, and even into the early 1970’s British Columbia was indeed a province to envy.  Massive projects were undertaken from hydro-electric dams ... to hundreds and hundreds of miles of new highway built over some of the roughest terrain in the world.  Mining, logging, construction and resource development boomed.  New schools were built as communities expanded and the suburbs grew ... and both the University of Victoria and Simon Fraser University were founded.

The economy of BC flourished ... and a big part of that was due to someone Mr. Bolin says was likely the best Premier the Province ever had:

“Easy choice”, said Bolin.  “WAC Bennett”.

“He never gave up on his dream, and never let anyone influence his passion and vision for BC. What started as a small group of people with just some ideas on how to make this province better snowballed into one of the longest political careers in the province.”

Well those are pretty big boots to fill... why now, and why you, I asked the BC Conservatives new leader?  Without hesitation, or a pause, he quickly began by stating:


“The right time was 5 minutes ago; the next best time is right now”.

“We have had a provincial Liberal government that identified as a coalition for the last decade and a half. We now are governed by the NDP, and another coalition”.

On a roll, he continued, “We need to make sure we have an open and transparent government, fiscally responsible with a plan to not only balance the budget, but eliminate debt, enhance services and reduce the burdens on families. Far too often I hear about British Columbians having to decide between food and fuel, and it should never have come to that”.

Tax ... spend ... deficits ... debt ... political scandals ... all seem to have made British Columbians less and less likely to vote.  With all of the continued negativity in both provincial politics ... and federally ... what can you do differently to gain the attention of BC voters to show hope of real change.  After all, I commented to Trevor, we keep getting promises it, however they never seem to materialize.  What will be your rallying cry I asked?  What will excite British Columbians to your cause?

“We will be rolling out our five-point plan in the coming days after the leadership announcement in Vancouver”, he stated.

“Real change isn’t politicians making promises six months before an election. It’s a well thought out, and well executed, plan that makes a difference to families. It’s about British Columbians being represented by British Columbians ... it’s knowing that we are all in this together for a better BC”.

The question many however, will ask, is ‘what about the BC Liberals.  Aren’t they the big tent party for both liberals and conservatives?’. 

I questioned Bolin on why conservatives in BC have had to support the BC Liberals … why shouldn’t they continue to do so … and what does the BC Conservative Party have to offer conservative minded voters other than the continued chaos they’ve seen in, and between, past elections?

Again, there was no hesitation from him as he calmly stated:

“As times and needs of people change, so do governments and parties. The BC Liberals have long used the coalition for years prior to attract centre to right voters and supporters.  After the last election, I as a conservative didn’t feel as strongly represented”.

“Seeing the NDP and Greens form an alliance, much as the coalition between the BC Liberals and the conservatives many years ago, made me wonder if the people of BC are ready for a strong, united, fiscally responsible, open and ethical conservative government once again”.

He continued, “The first, and many governments elected in this great province, were conservative. It’s time to change the way politics is done in BC, and bring back the people to the government”.

Hearing that answer, led me to ask if he then believed in giving credit where credit is due, and acknowledging that perhaps an idea from another party, or opposition member ,might have merit and should be explored?’

Trevor’s answer was refreshing to hear, and one that I hope that the BC Conservative Party does not let slide to the end of a list of why people should support the party.  Bolin simply stated:

"Of course, I do, we need to work together to make B.C. better, not one party or person can do it alone. We look forward to hearing the ideas and thoughts from all British Columbians on ways to improve quality of life, health, finances and protect what has been built by those before us and build on the needs of those after us."

“I am the first elected politician in my family. I think a lot of them (family members) thought I was crazy when I decided to get involved at 27, it’s not something you commonly see”.

And how long will it be before BC Conservative members ... and in fact all British Columbians ... get to see what the people in the Peace River Country have come to know and respect?

“You will start seeing a lot of the BC Conservatives all across this great province in every town, city and region as we get to know what matters to British Columbians.”

“I want to bring a government that can make change and stand behind it for the betterment of all families in all parts of this vast and diverse province. I want to see more economical benefits from our vast resources. I want to see a government that the people of BC can rally behind, support and be proud of once again”.

Pride and respect, for Trevor, seems to be deep in his family:

“I am a local BC boy. I have worked hard my whole life and enjoyed everything British Columbia has to offer. I met and married my wife, raised my boys here and have been fortunate to grow my businesses here”.

And then concluded, “I am fortunate to have my boys who have grown up and spent their entire lives with dad in politics. Politics has become something my family is proud of, and something we all get involved in”.



Comments

  1. Alan------Great! Would it be OK to send to ALL British Columbia Conservative Members? Regards Don Purdey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Todd Stone says, “One and Done” -- No need to fill in Question 2”. Respectfully, he and his fellow BC Liberal MLAs are wrong

From Todd Stone, to Tracy Redies, to John Yapp, to Jane Thornthwaite, to Doug Clovechok, to Mike Bernier, to Lorne Letnick … the list of BC Liberal MLA’s all singing from the same song book goes on and on as their united voices all say, “Vote One and Done".   Let me say this … they, along with supporters of the BC Liberal Party are WRONG!   Even IF you do support retaining our current system of  and have no wish to change to some form of Proportional Representation, it IS vitally important for you to vote on Question #2!   Despite the Liberals trying to persuade us differently, there is indeed plenty of information on the vote , and it is from an independent source – Elections BC.   There you’ll find pretty much everything you need to make an informed choice about the different voting systems, and the different rules for each … including how voters cast their ballot, how votes are counted, and how votes translate into seats in the l...

Labels

Show more