Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

SUITS AND BOOTS: We are a federation, but right now that aspect of our country, and of our economy, seems to be forgotten


The following message from Jeanne of Victoria (a former Alberta resident), was sent to Suits and Boots.  They have approved the reprinting of it here:


I used to live in Alberta. I now live in Victoria BC, land of retired civil servants, but my family and friends still live in Alberta.

Bill C-69 matters to me because I know it is wrong to eliminate the livelihood of some people in Canada, to benefit the narrow ideology of a few ... especially at a time when a majority government can push through what it wants.

If there is a purpose to the Canadian Senate, it is now to give a sober, second look at a flawed bill and send it back. This is what I ask, and here is why.  We are a federation, but right now that aspect of our country, and of our economy, seems to be forgotten.
 
When I was living in Alberta, our family earned a livelihood in a part of the province where gas and oil development was one source for a healthy economy -- side by side with agricultural.  Family still work there in agriculture.

Those who worked directly in oil, gas and agricultural earned their money, and then bought our construction services. We made enough money to send our children to university, and eventually to retire here to Victoria, the land where income comes from government earnings, tourism, and taxes from house sales.

No need for primary industry because Victoria relies on cruise ships, and family money often earned elsewhere.


Last year, I went down to the Victoria harbour to see the largest cruise ship to ever dock in BC. This is in a harbour which last year welcomed 250 cruise ships, between April and September, with some 600,000 passengers.

Environmental problems ... pollution ... threat to sea life ... fuel spills?  But cruising sounds gentle; and tar sands sounds harsh.

Two years ago, I visited friends in Newfoundland. I saw and commented on all of the beautiful new homes, often sitting beside an old, weather-beaten one. I was told of the many in Newfoundland, who had left to work in Alberta, returned with their earnings to their home province and built these homes for the families they supported there. 

Recently I returned to Alberta to visit family and friends. I commented on the level of health care, hospitals, recreation centres and schools -- all the result of an economy that is now under attack from Bill C-69. This Bill has clauses that are meant to restrict, and likely eliminate, resource development.

I said how unfair Bill C-69 was to some retired friends here, after I came back to Victoria. The other four people in the conversation said the people of Alberta deserved their now slowed economy – deserved it because they had misspent the money from the ‘good years’.

Their questions to me was, “Well are those facilities, rec centres, and hospitals sustainable?”.  And my answer to them was, “They will be if they are allowed, in that province, to do what people elsewhere want to do -- earn a living for themselves and their families?”

I was appalled at the narrowness of their belief.

We are a federation ... a federation of provinces.

To destroy the environment in one, impacts all; to destroy the economy in one, impacts all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okanagan Farmers Face NDP-Created Water Crisis ~~ BC Conservatives

Okanagan farmers are facing a water crisis as government-imposed restrictions threaten to kill their crops and destroy one of B.C.’s most important agricultural industries. In perhaps the most water-rich province in the country, our farmers have been left high and dry by the NDP government. For nine weeks, Okanagan and Shuswap farmers have proposed solutions, only to be met with NDP foot-dragging. Now forest fires have come to these regions as they are simultaneously reckoning with a water crisis that has been made worse through years of government inaction. Vernon-area farms have lost 70 percent of their water, while Kelowna and Summerland growers face severe restrictions. This situation is unacceptable and cannot continue. Ian Paton, Shadow Minister for Agriculture, said the NDP is once again forcing farmers to pay for its own failure to plan. "Farmers and ranchers must be listened to when decisions affecting their livelihoods are made, and under the NDP, they aren’t," said...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

FORSETH: That, to me, sure seems to fit with narcissistic personality disorder – AND - a definite sense of self entitlement

I think most people are aware of why England’s Henry the 8th created the Church of England. It was out of a belief that he should be able to do anything he wanted. And what did he want?  It was a male heir that would follow him and, at his death, become the next King of England.   His marriage to Catherine had not produced one, so he demanded the Pope to allow him to divorce her.  The Pope of course refused so Henry created his own church, and declared himself the "Supreme Head of the Church of England", thereby allowing him to annul the marriage. In other words, he wanted his own way, and because he had the ultimate power in England, he forced his will over the church. Many (most?) would say people suffer like that from 'narcissistic personality disorder'. The Mayo Clinic says, “ People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are e...

Labels

Show more