Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN: That does not make erratic driving any safer, however it does create the space for kindness and compassion that we would hope others offer us in our times of need


I switched into the passing lane as I went under the Royal Oak overpass.

There was a steady stream of cars merging onto the Pat Bay highway. A light grey compact SUV jumped from two or three cars back into the lane in front of me, cutting me off. My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly and I gritted my teeth and muttered a few regrettable words quietly to myself.

Bouncing from lane to lane, the SUV didn’t make it that far ahead in the thick traffic before veering off the highway at McKenzie. As I crossed McKenzie I glanced off to my right. The SUV was frantically heading west toward the Trans-Canada highway.

"What is wrong with that person? Geez, slow down!" I thought.

Then other thoughts crossed my mind. What if that person was rushing to the hospital? What if someone they loved and cared for was dying?

In a guided meditation recently, I was challenged to pause ------ before passing judgement. To stop. And think. What if that person is not a jerk or an idiot? What if they are desperate because they just heard the worst news of their lives.

Remember how you felt the last time you heard really bad news?

Maybe something else is going on

That does not make erratic driving any safer, however it does create the space for kindness and compassion that we would hope others offer us in our times of need.

If compassion is the first response I have, then I grip the wheel less tightly, have less grit in my teeth and have more positive thoughts cross my mind. Generally, I am more pleasant to be around.

No matter our perceptions of the people around us, they all are going through something. We all have that little being inside us that needs love, patience and empathy.
MLA Adam Olsen, his wife Emily and their two children

Increasingly our default behaviour is to swear and shake a fist at each other. But it’s a smile and a gentle hand up that is often most needed.



Adam Olsen (SȾHENEP) loves his job as the Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Saanich North and the Islands. He was elected in May 2017.

Born in Victoria, BC in 1976, Adam has lived, worked and played his entire life on the Saanich Peninsula. He is a member of Tsartlip First Nation (W̱JOȽEȽP), where he and his wife, Emily, are raising their two children, Silas and Ella.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Provincial and Kamloops area news stories from August 25th to 31st

ADDICTION / DECRIMINALIZATION / RECOVERY: ·          Helping "hard to house" addicts; mental health ~~ Times Colonist 08/27   ·          ‘Shocking actually’: BC Conservatives criticize Island Health’s harm reduction kiosks ~~ CHEK NEWS 08/27   ·          Premier David Eby is asking for a review of vending machines such as those outside Vancouver Island hospitals which dispense condoms, needles, crack pipes, drug-testing strips, wound-care supplies and naloxone kits ~~ Times Colonist 08/27   ·          More than 15,000 people have died of toxic drugs in BC since 2016. BC Coroners Service reported at least 192 people died of drug toxicity in July ~~ CBC 08/30   AGRICULTURE / Aquaculture / FOOD SECURITY: ·          BC United is calling on the provincial government to step into the case involving BC Tree Fruits Cooperative debacle and help tree-fruit farmers ~~ Delta Optimist 08/26   BC NDP / GOVERNMENT SUPPORT / POPULARITY: ·          $5B deficit? No

GIESBRECHT: Thank you everyone; and to Ward and Peter ... I'll see you in Victoria

I want to thank everyone who has shown me support in preparation for this Fall's critical provincial election. As a candidate, my only goal has always been to remove the dangerous Eby NDP from Victoria, and in doing so, improve the quality of life for the people of BC. This has not changed, and I am excited to now have the opportunity to deepen my ties in the riding of Vernon - Lumby as their representative for the Conservative Party of BC. I wish nothing but a Blue Wave to wash over Kamloops - Centre and Kamloops - North Thompson. I know know the team will excel going into October. Thank you everyone; and to Ward and Peter ... I'll see you in Victoria. For information on the campaign for Vernon - Lumby, and Dennis Giesbrecht, CLICK HERE From the Armchair Mayor: Giesbrecht moves into vacant Vernon spot for Conservatives

Conservative Party of BC Leader John Rustad Blasts NDP’s Catastrophic Mismanagement of BC’s Forestry Sector

  David Eby and the BC NDP have gutted our forestry sector, leaving communities and workers behind. The BC Conservatives have a clear plan to restore our forests, support our workers, and ensure a sustainable future for BC’s forestry industry.” - John Rustad, Leader of the Conservative Party of British Columbia     John Rustad, Leader of the Conservative Party of British Columbia, today condemned Premier David Eby and the NDP for their continued decimation of the province’s once-thriving forestry sector, accusing the government of anti-forestry policies that have devastated workers, families, and communities across British Columbia. “Under the NDP, BC’s forest sector is in freefall. Nine major sawmills have closed in the past 18 months, and contractors and businesses are fleeing the province,” said Rustad. “Forestry isn’t just an industry—it’s the backbone of our province, supporting communities, families, and our economy. The NDP’s hostility towards this vital sector shows conte

Labels

Show more