Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ADAM OLSEN: Take a Deep Breath and Recharge ... and ... A Good laugh is Medicine for the Spirit


PART ONE:  “Take a Deep Breath ... Recharge”

Over the past few days I have been reflecting on the Spring legislative session. Frankly, the debate on Bill 10 (the income tax amendment Bill for LNG Canada) took a lot out of me.

The work in the legislature continued for the week following the final vote but admittedly I was not at my best. The truth is, the debate was emotionally draining. No question that I found some catharsis in writing about the process and reflecting on the ups and downs of life as an elected official. But once we broke for Easter, it all caught up to me.


When I decided to start publishing a daily blog post, I did it for times like this. So often we see our elected leaders confident and brash. We can feel their ego enter the room seconds before they do. However, we also are a vulnerable little person hiding somewhere in the dark recesses of our minds. 

This is the essence of the balance I have been exploring in these posts. Elected officials are public targets that are often built up and just as often knocked down. But, we are people. Although we don't often show our vulnerabilities, we feel them. And for the past few days, I have been feeling it.

It's nice to be able to stand against the fence and watch Silas play baseball and to travel to Salt Spring to reconnect with a community that, while is so close geographically, feels so far away when I am in the legislature.

These two weeks on either side of Easter provide an excellent opportunity to recharge and rebound. It's better to turn towards the vulnerability than to try to run away from it, because it's very fast and, in a long run, it will always catch up to you.


PART TWO:  “A Good Laugh is Medicine for the Spirit”

Ever heard of Nate Bargatze? In my opinion he is one hilarious comedian!

I don’t mind admitting this about Nate because, from what I have seen so far, his humour does not require the frequent use of vulgar insults and profane rants. My list of previous favourite comedians, though, cannot be identified in this blog lest my evolving sense of humour be judged to harshly.

Comedians have an important place in our society. They are a giant mirror that reflects "us" back to ourselves, testing our edges, pushing the limits and exercising the taboo. They poke, prod, test and twist social norms, finding the silly in the serious. Most importantly, they give us an opportunity to cleanse our minds and our spirits with a good laugh from deep down in our bellies.

Some comedians draw laughter out through shock and awe. For Bargahtze, it is about timing and pace. In his Netflix special, The Tennessee Kid, he adds a slightly different perspective about global warming. He's noticed how far we have come. Comparing the earth to all the other planets he acknowledges, "they haven't even started yet, and we are just about don!”  Nervous laugh for a serious issue.

But this post is not about a specific comedian or a recommendation. You might be annoyed by something that makes me laugh.

This post is about seeking out something you find funny and making yourself cry with laughter. It feels really good to have to get down on the floor and roll around laughing until your abs hurt.

A good giggle and a satisfying snort are medicine for our soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abbotsford-Mission MLA Reann Gasper to step down for Conservative Leader Hon. Kerry-Lynne Findlay to run in a by-election

Deputy Whip and MLA Reann Gasper has informed the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia of her decision to step down as MLA for Abbotsford-Mission, creating an opportunity for Conservative Party of British Columbia Leader Hon. Kerry-Lynne Findlay to seek the seat in a forthcoming by-election. Gasper said the decision was made carefully and deliberately, with the future of British Columbia firmly in mind. Abbotsford-Mission MLA Reann Gasper “This is a decision I have made after a great deal of careful consideration, and I believe it is the right decision for me, for our Party, and for the work ahead,” said MLA Gasper. “It has been a privilege to represent the people of Abbotsford-Mission, and I am deeply grateful to everyone who placed their trust in me. I am also grateful for the opportunity to serve alongside my colleagues in the Conservative Caucus and to contribute to our leadership team.” “I have confidence in Kerry-Lynne, in her leadership, and in her ability to ...

NDP Sits on $61 Million With No Start Date for Burnaby Hospital

Phase 2 of Burnaby Hospital redevelopment  was green lit to go ahead in September 2023 The NDP spent $45 million on the Burnaby Hospital redevelopment, cancelled the second phase, and now has another $61 million listed for the project in the province’s Public Accounts, with no start date for construction. If the NDP cancelled the project, what is happening to the $61 million set aside for it? The Phase 2 project was expected to cost between $1.7 billion and $1.8 billion and was intended to expand the hospital’s capacity. With Burnaby’s population growing and residents struggling to access healthcare, the government should be investing in healthcare capacity, not leaving millions of dollars tied up in limbo. “The NDP spent $45 million on this project before cancelling it, and now $61 million remains listed for it in the Public Accounts,” said MLA Misty Van Popta, Shadow Minister for Infrastructure. “If the government isn’t going to build the hospital expansion, it should explain whe...

BC Conservatives Point to Warning Signs in BC’s Economy

While Canada posted modest job gains in July, warning lights are still flashing in British Columbia. Youth unemployment remains stubbornly high, leaving too many first-time jobseekers shut out of the workforce. BC also lost 3,400 public administration jobs in July, likely as temporary Census positions ended. “BC's jobs divide remains stark. Unemployment is far higher in business-driven communities like Kelowna (9.3%) and Abbotsford-Mission (8.3%) than in Victoria (5.0%). Government should be focused on creating the conditions for private-sector investment and job growth,” said Gavin Dew, MLA for Kelowna-Mission and Shadow Minister for Economic Development. “We need an economy where young people can find work, businesses can hire, and every region has the opportunity to prosper.” This comes as BC faces five straight quarters where more businesses are closing than opening, an NDP cabinet rift over job-creating projects like Tilbury LNG, and fresh signs that even the province's to...

Labels

Show more