Skip to main content

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.” ~~ John G. Diefenbaker

ROTHENBURGER -- Most stayed clear of the China reception, and I applaud them for it. It would have been even better if 150 more of them had stayed away


POSTED with permission of the author

THE CONTROVERSIAL Chinese Consulate-General’s reception for Union of B.C. Municipalities delegates on Wednesday evening (Sept. 25, 2019) in Vancouver was a fine media event but, otherwise, it wasn’t much of an event at all.

The issue with the reception is that China has not been a friend to Canada lately, detaining two Canadian citizens and pulling stunts with bans on Canadian goods in clear retribution for Canada’s detention of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou at the request of the U.S.
 
IMAGE by Mel Rothenburger
I would have boycotted the reception along with a lot of others but, out of curiosity, decided to briefly drop in to get a feel for the room, which at past UBCM conventions has been jam-packed with delegates. Outside the front door of the Waterfront Hotel, several media and some delegates and Chinese-Canadian citizens calling for a boycott of the reception mingled as protest placards were handed out.

Say NO to China money,” said one placard. “Release the Michaels,” said another, in reference to Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor being detained in China.

Protest chants drove the point home. Port Coquitlam Mayor Brad West, who has led the charge against the China sponsorship, was busy with media interviews.


Inside the reception room, Consul General Tong Xiaoling was giving a lengthy welcome speech reciting statistic after statistic about the value of trade between Canada and China. About 150 people, including delegates and consulate staff, applauded politely when she finished.

Kamloops Councillor and 2018 / 19 UBCM
Pres. Arjun Singh
(Image: Mel Rothenburger)
Then it was Councillor Arjun Singh’s turn. In one of the final acts of his one-year term as UBCM president, Singh kept it short. About two sentences short, in fact, saying it was important to work together “even during difficult times.”

This was nothing like the gala atmosphere painted in descriptions by media of previous receptions held by the consulate. The room was small, perhaps in expectation of an underwhelming turnout.

After his turn at the microphone, Singh faced a scrum with television reporters, explaining that the matter of accepting sponsorships of UBCM convention events from governments has been referred to a panel for consideration.

It was the best he could do on this thorny issue; his job is to reflect the wishes of an entire province of City councils and regional districts, not to take sides.

After about 10 minutes, without sampling the appetizers, drinking the wine, or accepting the swag bag that was offered to departing delegates, I left. By the time I got back to the front door of the hotel, the ‘protest’ had melted away, the media having gotten their video clips.

I saw a Global News reporter proclaim the China sponsorship issue was the big thing of the day at the convention ... Hardly.

This convention has a ton of other business — including a couple of hundred resolutions — to work through. The China issue was important, and the media will weave their magic around the reception issue, but the event itself turned out to be a nothing burger.

There are around a thousand delegates here, most of whom stayed clear of the China reception, and I applaud them for it. It would have been even better if 150 more of them had stayed away. It will probably be the last one, anyway.

Earlier in the day, delegates voted heavily during a resolutions session to ditch future sponsorships by governments. In a non-binding electronic vote, 44.9 percent indicated they “strongly disagree” with continuing such sponsorships, and another 19 per cent “disagreed.”

The panel reviewing the sponsorship question will, no doubt, take that result under strong advisement.


Mel Rothenburger is a regional district delegate at the annual UBCM convention in Vancouver. He is a former mayor of Kamloops and newspaper editor. He publishes the Armchair Mayor opinion website, and is a director on the Thompson-Nicola Regional District board. He can be reached at mrothenburger@armchairmayor.ca.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BC cannot regulate, redesign, and reinterpret its way to a stable forestry sector. Communities need clear rules, predictable timelines, and accountability for results.

Photo credit:  Atli Resources LP   BC’s Forestry Crisis Continues with Closure of Beaver Cove Chip Facility   As industry leaders, Indigenous partners, and contractors gather this week at the BC Natural Resources Forum in Prince George, the gap between government rhetoric and reality could not be clearer. Just hours after the Eby government once again touted reconciliation, certainty, and economic opportunity under DRIPA, Atli Chip Ltd, a company wholly owned by the ’Na̱mg̱is First Nation, announced it is managing the orderly closure of its Beaver Cove chip facility. The closure comes despite public tax dollars, repeated government announcements, and assurances that new policy frameworks would stabilize forestry employment and create long-term opportunity in rural and coastal British Columbia. “British Columbians are being told one story, while communities are living another,” said Ward Stamer, Critic for Forests. “This closure makes it clear that announcement...

Stamer: Hope for Forestry Completely Shattered After Another Provincial Review Driven by DRIPA

IMAGE CREDIT:  Provincial Forestry Advisory Council Conservative Critic for Forests Ward Stamer says the final report from the Provincial Forestry Advisory Council confirms the worst fears of forestry workers and communities; instead of addressing the real issues driving mill closures and job losses, the NDP has produced a report that ignores industry realities and doubles down on governance restructuring. Despite years of warnings from forestry workers, contractors, and industry organizations about permitting delays, regulatory costs, fibre access, and the failure of BC Timber Sales, the PFAC report offers no urgency, no timelines, and no concrete action to stop the ongoing decline of the sector. “ This report completely shatters any remaining hope that the government is serious about saving forestry ,” said Stamer.  “ We didn’t need another study to tell us what industry has been saying for years. While mills close and workers lose their livelihoods, the NDP is focused on re...

FORSETH – My question is, ‘How do we decide who is blue enough to be called a Conservative?’

How do we decide who’s blue enough to be a Conservative? AS OF TODAY (Friday January 30 th ), there are now eight individuals who have put their names forward to lead the Conservative Party of British Columbia. Having been involved with BC’s Conservatives since 2010, and having seen MANY ups and downs, having 8 people say “I want to lead the party” is to me, an incredible turn-around from the past. Sadly, however, it seems that our party cannot seem to shake what I, and others, call a purity test of ‘what is a Conservative’. And that seems to have already come to the forefront of the campaign by a couple of candidates. Let me just say as a Conservative Party of BC member, and as someone active in the party, that frustrates me to no end. Conservatives, more than any other political philosophy or belief, at least to me, seems to have the widest and broadest spectrum of ideals.   For the most part, they are anchored by these central thoughts --- smaller and less intru...

Labels

Show more